You and your partner are now in the next chapter of your life and are celebrating your first Christmas together as newlyweds. Why not start some new holiday traditions? This will allow you to kick start the holiday season in great spirits and will also give you even more reason to cherish each other and your memories for years to come.
- Decorate your tree. Whether you prefer a faux tree or a real tree, dedicate a day to getting it set up. You can even have mini traditions within your tree decorating one. For example, you can purchase a new ornament for your tree each year with the year on it.
- Choose specific decorations to bring out each year. This is to commemorate your first year as husband and wife. Despite whatever theme you have the years after; these decorations will always have a special meaning to you.
- Start having Christmas parties at your place. This is another way to signify you are stepping into a different chapter in your life. This doesn’t have to be the main family gathering everyone goes to every year but it could a holiday party for you and your close friends. Not only will you be starting a tradition, you will also be creating lovely memories and strengthening your relationships with your friends.
- Cook Christmas treats with each other. These treats should only be made during the Christmas season so they remain extra special. It could a recipe you’ve whipped up together or it could be one that was passed down to the both of you by a dear family member.
- Make sure to spend some alone time with each other. Often times we tend to not realize just how much traveling we do for the holidays to see everyone we care about. Since this is your first holiday together as spouses, make sure to spend enough time with each other, even if that means taking a night off from social events to just some time in your home relaxing with Christmas movies.
- Volunteer together. Keep in the spirit of Christmas by volunteering to help those in need. It can be a shelter or even a food bank. When you volunteer, not only will you be able to spend time with each other, you will also be able to give to those who are not as fortunate.
- Spend Christmas morning together, alone. You may have to travel to family events the day of Christmas, but it doesn’t mean you can’t spend the morning alone with each other. This is a perfect time to exchange gifts with each other and bond. The night before, talk to each other about how you want to spend the morning. Do you want to open gifts by the tree on in bed? Will there be breakfast or will you just enjoy your holiday treats?
It’s exciting to celebrate Christmas as newlyweds! You should take full advantage of it and create some fun traditions you will continue to do for many years down the road.